The Idaho Public Defense Commission is creating rules that will set the standards for public defense in Idaho, including rules pertaining to investigations, use of experts, parity in investigators, experts, and testing resources between public defenders and prosecutors, and qualifications for public defenders who work on death penalty cases. The rules also include a new enforcement standard that outlines how the Commission will hold counties accountable to meeting the standards and other rules. These rules will be discussed throughout the month of October and then sent to the Idaho Legislature for approval in early 2018. The Commission needs to hear directly from people who are dealing with Idaho's public defense system, whose stories and experiences can play a big role in fixing that system. If you’re interested in providing feedback and want more information about the rules creation process, review our 2017 Public Defense Commission Rules guide here.
Tell the Commission what you think of the rules by their October 25, 2017 deadline. You can share your feedback a number of ways.
- Write the Commission at: Idaho Public Defense Commission 816 W. Bannock Street, Suite 201 Boise, ID 83702 2.
- Email the Commission at: email@example.com.
- Submit comments online at: www.pdc.idaho.gov. Visit the page titled “Proposed and Pending Rules” and use the online forms.
- In person at an upcoming public hearing:
- October 11, 2017 - Boise - 4:00 PM: The Grove Hotel, 245 S. Capitol Blvd, Boise, 83702, The Riverfork Room, 3rd Floor
- October 12, 2017 - Caldwell - 6:00 PM: Canyon County Administration Building, 111 N. 11th Ave, Caldwell, 83605, 1st Floor Public Meeting Room
- October 17, 2017 - Idaho Falls - 6:00 PM: Residence Inn, 635 West Broadway, Idaho Falls, 83402
- October 17, 2017 - Lewiston - 6:00 PM: Red Lion Hotel, 621 21st St, Lewiston, 83501, Port 1 Room
- October 18, 2017 - Pocatello - 6:00 PM: Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 200 Via Venitio, Pocatello, 83201, Scout Mountain Room
- October 18, 2017 - Coeur d'Alene - 6:00 PM: Best Western Plus, 506 W. Appleway Ave, Coeur d'Alene, 83814, Idaho Room
- October 19, 2017 - Twin Falls - 6:00 PM: Hilton Garden Inn, 1741 Harrison St N., Twin Falls, 83301, I.B. Perrine Room