Harassment and bullying are one of the most pervasive, frightening and potentially damaging experiences an individual can face. Below are recommendations on what you can do if you being bullied or harassed. 

  • Document what happened. If you can do it safely, make video or audio recordings and take pictures. No matter what, write down what happened, where it happened, and when it happened. Do it while it is fresh in your mind.
  • Get the names and contact info for any witnesses.
  • Report it. Share what happened with at least one person or organization you feel comfortable with. 
  • If you are in a public school, file a formal grievance. Look on your school district or college website for grievance and civil rights policies. Follow the procedure to make sure your grievance is complete and on time.
  • You can also file a grievance if you are in prison, jail, or a state hospital. Ask staff for the grievance procedure and follow it.
  • Your workplace or private school may have a grievance policy, too.
  • If you are bullied or attacked by your partner or a family member, you can call the Idaho Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-669-3176 or the Idaho Legal Aid hotline at 1-877-500-2980. Click here to connect with a community-based sexual assault program near you, learn your options, or to help a friend, family member, neighbor or coworker.
  • File a complaint with the ACLU of Idaho. We monitor civil rights violations throughout the state. Sometimes we can help with referrals or other aid.

En Español

To watch a video of this information in English, with subtitles in all languages listed, click here.